Yesterday Sara and I discussed the idea that each of us plays different characters. Our masks bring four different characters to life. Each character has its own qualities and elements it brings to our healing ritual. Here’s what I envision:
Lightning…….Kinetic Energy, Alchemy
Bird/Dog…….Playfulness, Curiosity, Mobility
I am thinking of a draft of the second half of the performance. Right now it look something like this:
– Nationlistic dance. People start to peel off to change. S remains doing nationlistic dance the longest. She doesn’t change in the space. When she is done she exits the side door
– A and B do modified pedestrian dance – fav pedestrian dance movements + some Yvonne Rainer moves? Sara enter from the back, changed. She puts on mask and paces on back bench (perch), close to audience members. Meanwhile C sets up sound? Ped dance ends with very long shmoosh. C joins for shmoosh. Shmoosh begins to migrate further downstage.
– S leaves her perch, begins to approach the three onstage. She circles around shmoosh, which is becoming faster and more aggressive (or opposite? Shmoosh starts violent and becomes more gentle?). She circles around, transforming mob and also opening space.
– S sounds single note, all freeze. ***Is this where she takes off her mask? All sound different notes in harmony/disharmony
– A and S peel off and begin to put dirt out downstage. C and B peel off and put on masks.
– C goes to his perch
– B does solo lightening dance, bringing alchemy and energy into space. During this time A and S continue to arrange
– B goes to his perch
– C comes forward as bird/dog. Playfully he does the dance of chicken feet, leaving tracks in the dirt ***do C and B’s dances overlap slightly? In middle of C’s dance A goes to back, puts on mask. She approaches dirt, slowly moving from upstage to downstage, bringing strength
– Ocarina sounds
– All take off masks. Place mask just upstage of dirt on ground?
– All begin Wigman dance. 1st round counts of 8, then get faster and faster. Then some movmts from earlier in the piece come in (Falling to the floor, computer typing, muscles, salute, etc)? During this time singing various harmonic/disharmonic tones. Tones trigger motion sensors. Sounds build as poses/movements get faster and faster CLIMAX!
– Bryan breaks free from Wigman poses/configuration. Others freeze in Wigman poses. B begins his healing dance. Halfway through B’s dance, S and A unfreeze and begin to walk downstage slowly. At this point, C unfreezes. He statically hold several poses from earlier in the piece such as one wigman mvmt, salute, face down on ground. He holds each pose for several seconds.
– A and S lay down on their sides in the dirt, heads facing one another. They slowly begin a healing dance. First couple of mvmts are in unison and then they break off, each doing individual healing movements. During this time C and B get the water. They begin to flick the water on the dirt and the women while they are doing healing dances.
– C begins to hum. All join in humming and come to stillness. Women get up from dirt.
– Everyone puts boots back on. Continue humming whole putting boots on. One by one they grab their individual masks and line up parallel to audience and centerstage. All sounds stop. All stand shoulder to shoulder, holding masks and simply witnessing audience. Then slowly walk out through dirt, up aisle, and exit space.
**In this version, the climax, the Wigman section is the height of trauma
**I really want more integration and connection btwn the first and second halves of piece. What if the beginning had more expressive (healing or traumatic) movements interspersed? What if some people ‘fall off’ during the nationlistic dance and have to be brought back. Fall on face and then stay there? Take a break and smoke a cigarette, leaning against the wall?
**I think it would be awesome if Sara played more of the drill sargent role in first half. Then, she becomes the conductor of sorts, or initiator of the healing ritual in the second half. I like this connection!
**Putting shoes back on at end = acceptance of some part of group identity
**I thought there would be some more storytelling in the second half, but I am not sure where this fits in yet. Each person speaks a short bit of text about belief?
Possibilities for spoken stories:
sara and biodynamics
Aurora believes too!
Shamanistic complex example!
Story of a healing
Example of how group empowers
Illustration how group identity oppresses